Website Foxmoor Veterinary Clinic
JOB DESCRIPTION – GROOMER
The Pet Groomer provides care, grooming and basic needs to patients who are being groomed, boarded, or who are patients of Kremer Veterinary Services. The Pet Groomer is an employee of Kremer Veterinary Services and reports directly to the Practice Manager.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Observe patient appearance and activity for general physical condition, obvious signs of illness, disease, and discontent
- Take charge of and handle patients; as required, properly restrain hard to control animals.
- Admit pets to be groomed noting the owner’s specific instructions, contact information and pick up time. Ascertain what veterinary services are required to be completed. In accordance with hospital operating instructions determine care required in agreement with the individual needs and circumstances of animals.
- Perform grooming services, including bath, brush, clipping, hand scissoring, trims and shapes the animal’s coat using knowledge of canine and feline characteristics, grooming techniques and styles and owner’s instructions.
- Provide medicated (when instructed) and general cleansing, parasite control baths, pedicures, medicated dips (when instructed) and ear cleaning, as required for each pet.
- Provide care for patients housed/visiting the hospital; perform work according to established methods specified in-hospital procedure manual or following special instructions; report signs of illness, disease, injury or unusual activity to veterinary technicians or veterinarians.
- At the request of the receptionists, admit animals; assure animals receive required veterinary services by properly filling out records; place properly completed cage identification cards (pet’s name, owner’s last name, contact number, grooming instructions) on each animal’s cage.
- Train and oversee the Bather in their performance of a variety of service functions. Set performance standards and monitor performance.
- Exhibit a technical knowledge of products and medications sold, including dietary products. Demonstrate the ability to explain and educate clients on products and answer their questions regarding product purchase/use.
- Ability to work with chemicals when performing medicated baths and dips. Knowledge of OSHA requirements when handling hazardous chemicals (i.e. medicated shampoos and dips).
- Enter charges and notes in-hospital veterinary software.
- Work well with all team members and ensure that your actions support the hospital, the doctors, and the practice philosophy.
- Groomers must arrive prior to scheduled drop-offs to check in their scheduled grooms.
- Required to groom cats and dogs
- Perform other duties as assigned.
CONTROLS OVER WORK
The Groomer works under the direct supervision of the Veterinary Hospital Manager. Kennel Manager, Veterinary Hospital Manager, Veterinarians and Veterinary Technicians may provide specific instructions for grooming or special sanitary procedures. Recurring assignments are performed independently. Deviations or unfamiliar situations are referred to the supervisor.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Apply knowledge and skills in controlling and/or handling individual animal temperament.
- Ability to gain animal confidence when restraining them for grooming.
- Knowledge of proper methods of animal restraint.
- Knowledge of grooming practices for a wide range of small animals, including hand-scissoring skills.
- Ability to place a dog on the grooming table.
- Knowledge of spelling and meaning of commonly used veterinary terminology in order to accurately enter specific information into patient records.
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks as well as to accept direction on given assignments. Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing client and personal services. This includes client needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of client satisfaction.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the primary functions of this job.
- Frequently required to bend, stand, stoop, walk, sit, talk, and listen, frequently working in a bent position.
- Frequently use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel; Groomer will reach with hands and arms.
- Use strength or agility in capturing and restraining stronger, more active animals.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
- Occasionally handle dogs weighing up to and over 150 lbs. Assistance will be provided by another Assistant/Tech when working with larger animals.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to hazards associated with aggressive patients; hazards associated with infected animals and controlled substances; exposure to unpleasant odors and noises; exposure to bites, scratches and animal wastes; possible exposure to contagious diseases.
Follow federal and state animal health laws and regulations including OSHA and DEA.
Kremer Veterinary Services CORE VALUES
Our team believes in and agrees to Positivity, Service, Integrity, Communication, and Teamwork to create a work environment that energizes team members to create value on behalf of our clients and patients.
Positivity – I choose positivity. I am excited about what I do and I will be all in. I will be present and engaged with clients, patients, and team members every day.
Service – I am dedicated to creating an exceptional client experience. I treat clients as partners and advocate for their pets.
Integrity – I am honorable. I respect all living things and I do the right thing when no one is watching.
Communication – I practice direct, honest communication with both clients and team members.
Teamwork – I will work together with my team enhancing each other’s strengths and covering each other’s weaknesses.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com